As we prepare to celebrate America’s Independence – 4th of July with family and friends, it is imperative to make sure that you know all the 4th of July safety issues that surrounds this holiday.
Common hazards that can happen with this patriotic holiday includes: injuries due to fireworks, outdoor cooking hazards, heat strokes and also fires. It has been proven that 280 plus people go to the emergency room every day with fireworks injuries around July 4th.
- It’s always best to have some simple 4th of July Safety tips such as:
- Make sure that you have a plan if you get separated from your group, family or friends.
- Leave the big fireworks to the pro’s and just attend the fireworks displays and parades. Many accidents happen when amateurs try and be professionals.
- Don’t forget pet safety as well by keeping your pets away from the fireworks and or hot grills.
- Keep children away from grills and campfires.
- Make sure to monitor the weather, especially if traveling and have a plan in case of bad weather.
- Drink alot of water – July heat can be brutal.
There is a FEMA App that is available in English and Spanish that connects people to disaster safety tips. This FEMA App allows users to receive National Weather Service alerts and provides checklists for supplies and family for communication plans.
Remember that 4th of July Safety Issues can happen and DO happen. Knowing what could happen and being prepared with certainly help you have a wonderful and safe holiday.