Skip to Content

Get a FREE assessment of your rental property. Start here!

Get a FREE assessment of your rental property. Start here!

Fireplace Safety Tips for Copper River Tenants

Warm and Cozy Fireplace in the Center of a Modern Living RoomA fireplace can be an appreciated hallmark in any single-family rental home in Copper River. But at the same time, fireplaces may also lead to some unique risks to renters. According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), fireplaces are the leading cause of home fires in the U.S., causing nearly 500 deaths and over $1 billion in property damage every year. To enjoy your fireplace and stay safe all together, it is pivotal to pursue a few vital fireplace safety rules.

The most common reason a fireplace causes a house fire is due to creosote buildup or obstructions in the chimney. Finally, wood-burning fires build a thick layer of soot and ash, called creosote, on the inside of the chimney walls. If not properly cleaned, this material can ignite, causing significant damage to the property and threatening the safety of everyone in the home. Other predicaments like dead leaves, bird nests, or falling bricks can block the airflow in the chimney and cause sparks to fly out into the room, possibly igniting rugs, nearby décor, or furniture. In the case of gas fireplaces, an obstructed chimney could cause dangerous fumes to vent into the home. Either state is highly hazardous for you and the home’s other inhabitants also.

To avoid these and other problems, there are several important steps that you must undertake. First, use only the recommended types of fuel for your fireplace. For wood-burning fireplaces, that is dried and well-seasoned wood free of any chemicals or accelerants. For gas or electric fireplaces, never put anything in the flames. This can give rise to showers of sparks and hot ash capable of starting the house on fire. Chimney fires can become as hot as 2000°F, hot enough to split bricks, melt metal, and catch your attic, siding, and roof scorching on fire. Correct use of your fireplace is one of the best ways to avoid such dangers.

Consequently, remember to supervise the use of your fireplace carefully. For both gas and wood fireplaces, never leave the fireplace lit unsupervised. It is pivotal to have an updated fire extinguisher nearby and to make sure that you regularly change the batteries in your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors. If your fireplace has an operating manual, keep it in an accessible location for easy reference. Do not come too close to the fireplace when it’s lit and see to it that you monitor any pets prudently to avoid scorches and misadventures.

Ultimately, you should check with your property manager or landlord to examine if the fireplace is being regularly inspected and cleaned. A worthy property manager will have a fireplace monitored regularly to ensure that it is in good working condition and ventilating correctly. To remain safe, it is imperative to know that pilot lights, valves, and sensors are working correctly and that you know how to operate your fireplace correctly. If your landlord gives you materials on fire safety, read through them carefully before attempting to use your fireplace. For tenants, adhering to suitable fireplace safety is a crucial bit of keeping you and your stuff out of danger’s course.

Exasperated of completing it yourself? Why not give Real Property Management Platinum a call? It doesn’t matter if you keep one rental home or several, our objective is to protect and maximize your real estate investment. Supported by over 30 years of nationwide experience, our group of Copper River property managers is here to help rental home owners maximize rental income while minimizing expenses and inefficiencies. Contact us online or give us a call at 559-425-8550 today.

We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. See Equal Housing Opportunity Statement for more information.